Today, cervical osteochondrosis is one of the most common diseases in people over 30 years old. In the course of the pathological process, the intervertebral discs and the vertebrae themselves are destroyed. Subsequently, the disease affects nearby vessels, tissues, ligament systems.
Weighty reasons for the threatening prevalence of this disease, doctors call a sedentary lifestyle and sedentary work.
In addition, the development of the disease is facilitated by:
- nervous stress, constant overwork;
- hard physical work;
- disorders in the functioning of the body's immune system;
- uncomfortable neck position during sleep;
- complications after infectious diseases.
Cervical osteochondrosis often develops in the elderly as a result of senile changes in the body.
Cervical osteochondrosis has 4 degrees. This article will consider the symptoms and features of treatment of the disease of stages 1 and 2, since it is at the stages that the consequences of the disease are reversible, complex treatment helps well, including the use of drugs, traditional medicine, exercises, physiotherapy.
Stage 1 cervical osteochondrosis
The initial signs of cervical osteochondrosis at stage 1 are weak. Often a person does not pay attention to them ("the neck has blown, it will pass by itself").
The body usually signals the onset of the disease as follows:
- pain in the neck, aggravated by turning the head;
- feeling of numbness and slight tingling in the arm and shoulder;
- general weakness of the body.
At this stage of the development of the disease, many are in vain in no hurry to see a doctor, attributing ailments to overwork, nervous stress.
The pathological process has just begun its destructive activity. The intervertebral discs have not completely lost their elasticity. Timely medical assistance will help to avoid the further development of stage 1 osteochondrosis.
Therapeutic methods in combination with massage, physiotherapy are able to restore the affected area, up to a complete cure.
Stage 2 cervical osteochondrosis
Late seeking medical help entails the progression of cervical osteochondrosis, the disease goes to the second stage. Further destruction of the intervertebral discs occurs, the pathological process affects the vertebrae themselves and nearby tissues, vessels.
Pinching of the nerve roots leads to the fact that the pain is not localized, but radiates to the arm, shoulder, back, under the scapula.
Patients go to the cardiologist with complaints of pain in the heart area. During the examination, it turns out that the cardiogram is within normal limits, and the painful sensations are caused by osteochondrosis.
Stage 2 cervical osteochondrosis manifests itself in the following symptoms:
- severe muscle pain in the neck;
- inability to turn, tilt, raise the head;
- severe numbness of the neck and upper shoulder girdle;
- frequent headache;
- consistently high blood pressure;
- decreased performance;
- feeling of constant tiredness, feeling of weakness;
- pulling pain radiating to the arm, under the shoulder blade, to the back;
- pain in the region of the heart.
Constant tension of the back muscles is observed, resulting in the displacement of the vertebrae. This can lead to curvature of the spinal column.
Treatment of the disease at this stage of development requires a more serious approach, includes:
- drug therapy;
- medical and diagnostic examination;
- physiotherapy exercises;
- strict diet;
- consultation of narrow specialists (orthopedist, surgeon, neuropathologist).
The full course of treatment is developed taking into account the characteristics of the patient's body, age, severity of the disease, it can last up to 2 months.
Prevention of cervical osteochondrosis stage 1 and 2
To avoid attacks of cervical osteochondrosis, it is necessary to regularly perform a set of preventive measures.
Basic guidelines are as follows:
- Keep track of your weight. Each extra kilogram increases the load on the spinal column. This will inevitably lead to a loss of elasticity of the intervertebral discs, impaired blood circulation. Which, in turn, contributes to the occurrence of osteochondrosis.
- Try to move a lot. A sedentary lifestyle helps to reduce muscle tone, all body systems begin to work intermittently. Exercise in the fresh air, swimming, cycling, walking are useful.
- Maintain correct posture. Do not slouch, keep your back straight while walking while sitting at your desk. To do this, make it a rule to do a few simple exercises every day.
- Choose a chair with spine support for computer work. Get up from the table every half hour, do a little warm-up.
- Elimination of infectious foci in the body. Any infectious focus in the body can cause preconditions for the occurrence of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine. This especially applies to the ENT organs (ear, throat, nose).
- Correct body position during sleep and rest. It is recommended to use orthopedic mattresses and pillows. Their design ensures the correct position of the spine, allows the body to relax as much as possible during rest.
- The complex of daily physical exercises should include exercises for the prevention of osteochondrosis of the spinal column.
- Proper nutrition. Do not overuse spicy, fatty, smoked foods. Try to introduce more greens, vegetables, fruits into your daily diet.
- Give up alcohol and tobacco smoking. Now it is not only unhealthy, but also not fashionable.
- Undergo medical examination annually. Ultrasound, X-ray examination, tomography can detect the disease in the early stages of development.
Remember:your health is in your hands. Following the simplest rules will allow your body to avoid such a serious disease as cervical osteochondrosis.