To understand what pathology has overtaken your body, you need to accurately describe the symptoms. Back pain under the left scapula from the back is a common symptom indicating serious health problems. The difficulty in determining a specific disease is that pain in this area of the back can manifest itself in various pathologies. From vascular lesions to pathologies of the nervous system.
Types of pain sensation
When pain appears on the left under the scapula, it is necessary to understand what character it is. Several types of pain are known:
- Pain under the left scapula of a shingles character lasts a long time, discomfort covers one area of the back. During a painful attack, a feeling of lack of air appears, coughing and shortness of breath appear. The situation is connected with the fact that in the intercostal space there is a nervous pulsation.
- The burning sensation is accompanied by numbness of a part of the skin. The patient feels a tingling sensation that spreads throughout the body.
- Growing character. The peculiarity of this type is that the entire left arm begins to hurt, provoking an increase in muscle tone. Making hand movements becomes unbearable.
- Sharp intense. The person loses the ability to take a lying position on the left side. Shortness of breath with difficult inhalation is noted. Movement increases the pain, then it becomes difficult to move.
- Discomfort in the back of the scapula, characterized by displacement. A cutting pain occurs in the left scapula, then localized in the center along the spinal column. The patient has an audible sigh.
- Dull and aching, one might say, the easiest manifestation of the previously listed. Whining in the area of the scapula will be only when the person moves, raise the sore arm.
- Pulling syndrome will appear in the upper back, down the spinal column to the lumbar region.
- And another kind - a sharp character.
The list is not limited to the listed types of pain symptoms. There is pressing soreness and tingling sensations that cannot be confused with other manifestations.
Attention should be paid to the nature of the pain syndrome. It will be easier for a medical specialist to determine your pathology.
What triggers the appearance of the syndrome?
Why does discomfort appear under the scapula? The appearance of pain under the scapula can be explained by human anatomy. Often one part of the body is affected, and the unpleasant sensation from it spreads along the nerve trunks to other organs. The left shoulder blade "lies" on the costal arches, which together form the rib cage. With the help of ligaments and intercostal muscles, the costal arches are connected to each other.
Under each rib are vessels and nerves that extend from the spinal cord, from the spinal column. The complex of ribs and left scapula has a protective function. They restrict internal organs from any kind of damage: heart, left lung, stomach, spleen, pancreas and aorta.
As a result of the anatomical location of the scapula, two large groups can be the cause of pain:
- Caused by a violation of the musculoskeletal system. This also includes muscle pain syndrome.
- Feelings due to dysfunction of internal organs.
To establish the cause of the onset of pain and make the correct diagnosis, he is prescribed the following types of diagnostics:
- X-ray examination of the spinal column.
- CT, MRI.
- Ultrasound of the abdominal organs.
- UAC, LHC.
Depending on the factor of damage, a specialist will prescribe treatment.
What is connected with
If it hurts from behind, the sensation is localized under the left shoulder blade - usually associated with one of the following disorders:
- Pathology of the musculoskeletal system;
- Diseases of a cardiac nature;
- Diseases of the bronchopulmonary sphere;
- Dysfunction of the digestive tract.
There are cases when the manifestations of painful sensations arise as a result of the destruction of the skeleton. Patients suffering from osteochondrosis, curvature of the spine, spondyloarthrosis, hernia and other disorders feel pain on the left under the scapula. The symptom is of two types.
- First, soreness and aches are associated with diseases of the chest. The character is aching, constrains movements, does not allow a deep breath.
- Another type makes itself felt in the form of intense colic.
Shoulder-scapular periarthritis is an inflammatory disease of the shoulder structure. Irradiating pain occurs in the left arm, left half of the back, which causes stiffness and soreness of movements.
Sprengel's syndrome is the presence of a pterygoid scapula in a patient, congenital or resulting from a disease. Prolonged, tingling pain is characteristic.
Pathologies associated with the heart and blood vessels
Acute ischemia of the heart muscle - myocardial infarction. With a heart attack, compression in the thoracic region is characteristic. It spreads from the heart to the left scapula, arm and lower back. This condition can be fatal if not treated. It is characterized by a pronounced burning sensation and severe pain under the left shoulder blade, which interferes with normal inhalation and exhalation.
The difference between myocardial infarction is that it is not stopped by taking nitroglycerin, the attack lasts more than 15 minutes. Hand numbness is common. With the development of the state, one cannot hesitate.
Disease of the cardiological sphere, manifested by acute cuts in the heart with irradiation under the left scapula - an attack of angina pectoris. Primary manifestations - compression in the region of the heart spreads on the left side. The cardialgia is constricting and sharp, may be aggravated by movement.
The difference between angina pectoris and a heart attack is that an attack of angina pectoris can be stopped by taking nitroglycerin or by physical and psychological rest. The cause of the attack is atherosclerosis of the cardiac (coronary) arteries. Provoking factors: hypothermia or overheating, alcohol abuse, plentiful food intake.
A vegetative crisis is a condition similar to the manifestations of angina or heart attack attacks. Heaviness and compression appears under the left scapula and in the sternum. It spreads over the left shoulder, forearm, reaches the distal phalanges of the fingers. Irradiates to the left side of the jaw and to the area between the shoulder blades.
The pathology is characterized by chills, inspiratory shortness of breath, tightness in the chest and lack of air. The syndrome is short-lived and spreads to the epigastric region, neck. When taking sedatives and tranquilizers, you can stop the vegetative crisis.
Diseases of the respiratory system are also the cause of the appearance of unpleasant sensations in the back area on the left. The main place is occupied by pneumonia or pleurisy, if at least one lung is affected. Pain syndrome is accompanied by coughing, sneezing and increased pain with a deep breath. Characterized by an increase in temperature, a decrease in weight, wheezing in the lungs on auscultation. It is very difficult to breathe. A kind of pain is cutting.
Disorders in the organs of the digestive system
Increasing soreness is characteristic of stomach ulcers. It is associated with the use of food, after vomiting, the soreness weakens. In the area of the stomach, it begins to pull. A reliable sign that this is a peptic ulcer is heartburn. Painful not only in the subscapularis, but also on the left side of the chest. The process is accompanied by muscle tension, difficulty breathing.
If the pain syndrome has arisen suddenly and is manifested by sharp impulses, it is necessary to urgently contact an ambulance. Acute pancreatitis can cause severe discomfort. The sensations are shingles in nature, the attack develops suddenly. A rare cause may be a ruptured spleen. With trauma to the splenic tissues, bleeding appears, almost impossible to stop. Emergency surgery is required.
Damage to the scapular region
- Cervical osteochondrosis.
- Violation of the walls of the intercostal nerves.
- Scapular-rib syndrome (occurs with physical overstrain, injury, can also slip through and cause this syndrome).
- Malignant neoplasm of the skeleton.
- Osteomyelitis (may appear after a gunshot wound)
- The defeat of the subscapularis.
- Shoulder-scapular periarthritis.
There are cases when painful sensations on the left arise with psychological pathologies or strong psycho-emotional stress. The reason for the appearance of pain syndrome is clear to everyone, it is provoked by stress and emotional stress. Psychosomatic diseases are accompanied by soreness in the area of the scapula, somatic disorders are noted. These include:
- The temperature rises to high numbers.
- Compression, burning in the sternum.
- Lump in the throat.
- Feeling of lack of air.
Who to contact
Given the intensity and nature of the pain under the scapula, you can seek help from the following specialists:
- Calling an ambulance team is required in case of sudden onset of symptoms with increasing pain and deterioration of health.
- In case of traumatism, which resulted in unpleasant sensations (stretching, lifting weights), contact a traumatologist.
- Difficulty breathing, bluish skin tone, tingling in the chest area should be the impetus for referring to a cardiologist.
- It is necessary to consult a neurologist and orthopedist in case of pain that increases with exercise with hands, physical activity, with known disorders of the spinal column.
- Soreness after eating, dyspeptic disorders (nausea, vomiting) is a reason to visit a gastroenterologist.
- Consult a pulmonologist if your back hurts, especially on the left under the scapula, accompanied by coughing and shortness of breath.
- When the pain is permanent or temporary, appears for no apparent reason, they turn to a therapist. After a thorough examination and diagnosis, the therapist refers the patient to a narrow specialist.
- If, as a result of instrumental examination methods, it was not possible to establish the cause of the symptoms, with frequent stress, psychoemotional stress, consultation of a psychologist and psychiatrist is needed.
Subscapularis pain therapy
There is no general therapeutic plan for the management of patients suffering from soreness in the upper back region. Therapy is carried out taking into account the etiology of the disease. For symptoms associated with disorders of the musculoskeletal system, treatment is carried out according to the following protocol:
It is necessary to provide the patient with a special treatment.
- Provide peace. There are times when sufficient rest eliminates muscle strain, restores functioning and relieves pain.
- The medical method of treatment is used for inflammatory processes. NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are prescribed.
- For long-standing, chronic pain, antidepressants are prescribed.
- With muscle spasm, muscle relaxants are administered. To achieve the maximum effect, more often the drug is prescribed in combination with NSAIDs, analgesic drugs, massage and physiotherapy procedures, exercise therapy.
- The appointment of massage courses has a beneficial effect on the condition of the muscles. Helps relieve muscle spasm, relieve pain, improve circulation and well-being.
- To restore nerve conduction, eliminate painful symptoms, acupuncture is used.
The technique of therapy is prescribed for bronchopulmonary, cardiological and gastrointestinal diseases individually. The necessary vitamins, antibacterial drugs, analgesics and NSAIDs are selected.
Patients with symptoms of heart attack and angina pectoris are subject to emergency hospitalization.
When diagnosing aneurysm and severe pathologies, they resort to surgical intervention.
- Daily workout, gymnastics. Hiking for half an hour.
- Complete balanced nutrition.
- Prevent injuries to joints and bones.
What do the doctor's say
Medical experts recommend that patients who have had an attack of angina pectoris or heart attack take prescribed medications regularly, follow a diet and avoid stress. Spinal disease requires long-term therapy with NSAIDs and exercise therapy. Pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract are stopped by the use of special medications and adherence to a diet.
Doctors advise adhering to a healthy lifestyle, it is easier to prevent a disease than to cure.
If you know the exact cause of the discomfort under the left shoulder blade, then you can begin treatment faster. It is necessary to correctly find out the cause of the discomfort. As soon as you have symptoms of any of the pathologies considered, immediately consult a doctor. Be healthy!