Have you ever experienced cervical pain, dizziness, nausea or lack of air? All these are signs of neck osteochondrosis.
Osteochondrosis, a common problem, worries more and more people every year. Can cervical osteochondrosis be cured? First, let's look at the factors of occurrence and the signs of occurrence.
Stages of osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae is a disease, the effect of which weakens the discs between the vertebrae, leading to changes in the texture of the discs themselves, vertebrae, and neck joints.
At the first stage, the symptoms are almost invisible, since the changes in the cartilaginous vertebrae have just begun. The following symptoms are observed:
- Unpleasant sensations in the neck, arms, shoulders.
- Slight limitation of neck motor activity.
- Short-term visual impairment.
- Decreases sensitive collar zone.
During the second stage, a small hernia of the spine may occur, the intervertebral fissures narrow. Due to the compression of the nerve trunks, point pain syndromes are felt during the execution of movements.
- Neck hurts, and a crunch is heard during turns.
- Loss of skin sensation on arms and shoulders.
- Vision is diminishing.
- I hear ringing in my ears.
- Face and neck go numb;
- The upper limbs are weakening.
- Shooting pains radiating to the shoulder blade.
- Insomnia, sleep problems.
Stage three is difficult to treat. A hernia is formed, the spine is deformed, changes in position, dislocations of the vertebrae are observed:
- Severe pain in the neck, heart muscle, collar area.
- The skin on the head, shoulders, arms ceases to be felt.
- Upper limbs are paralyzed.
- Tendon reflexes are no longer visible.
- A hernia of the cervical vertebrae begins.
The fourth and final stage during which symptoms worsen.
Factors that influence the onset and development of cervical vertebra osteochondrosis:
- Heavy weight.
- Seated work, lack of mobility.
- Previous spinal injuries.
- Mental disorders, nervous strain, stress.
- Poor physical fitness.
- Curvature of the spine, scoliosis, incorrect posture.
- Incorrect body positions that have become a habit.
- Tension of the neck, back, by means of work.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Physical stress unusual for the body, increased activity.
- Violation of the rules of a healthy diet.
The cervical ridge experiences an increase in stress, which the neck muscles try to balance, in the course of the influence of the factors mentioned above. Muscle spasm sets in, the blood circulation of the body is disturbed. Anatomical lesions appear.
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine are different from the symptoms of this disease observed in other parts of the spine. The close location of the neck vertebrae leads to compression of the nerve roots and the spinal cord.
I experience the following symptoms:
- Localization of pain: in the neck, back of the head, shoulder, arms and legs. During the connection of the nerve roots to the process, discomfort is felt in the shoulders, the back of the head, the restructuring of the upper limb begins. A spasm of the neck muscles in the back of the head leads to impaired blood flow.
- Weakness of the arms, which is caused by a dysfunction of the root, which includes motor nerves that rebuild the muscles of the arms.
- There is a restructuring of the hands, due to a decrease in sensitivity in the hands, damage to the root, which includes sensory nerves.
- During head movements, pain is felt, and a crunching sound is heard. It is caused by the defeat of the small joints of the neck, a reduction in the level of the intervertebral disc.
- Lack of strength, fatigue, dizziness, lack of coordination. Due to the shift of the vertebrae, the artery of the spine is compressed. It leads to a deterioration in blood flow, weakening the blood supply to the occipital lobe, cerebellum.
- Complication of sight, the tongue loses its sensitivity.
Symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis in women are similar to men. At the age of 46-60, the fairer sex turns to stone, tingling hands during sleep.
Why osteochondrosis is dangerous
Disease damages the whole organism. The cervical region includes a significant number of arteries, nerve endings, blood vessels that feed the brain.
Tightly pressed, because of the slightest pathology, they are compressed, leading to a deterioration in the blood circulation in the brain, gives rise to migraines, disrupts the heart rhythm, difficulties in breathing, vision, coordination and attention begin.
Pathologies that cause osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Brain disease;
- Vertebral artery syndrome;
- Spinal stroke.
Death is the worst consequence that occurs when the spinal cord is compressed.
When all the symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis have been considered, the factors of its development have been identified, we will consider the treatment used in this case.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis in women does not differ from treatment in men. Treatment stages:
- Pain relief.
- Removal of edema.
- Normalization of blood circulation.
- Strengthening the muscles of the back, abdominals, chest.
- Improved nutrition and tissue repair.
Any stage or symptom should seek medical attention. Specialists who select complex treatment: surgeon, neurologist, physiotherapist, massage therapist. Drug therapy, physiotherapy, massage of the collar area are used, therapeutic exercises are recommended, because it is effective in osteochondrosis.
Medicines used for treatment:
- Medicines that relieve muscle spasms.
- Vitamins that improve metabolism in the nervous system.
- NSAID drugs that reduce pain, relieve inflammation and swelling.
- Preparations for joints, restoring cartilaginous tissue, injuries in the intervertebral discs.
- Drugs that improve the nutrition of nerve cells that have been damaged, regulate the flow of blood to the brain.
First aid for exacerbations
There are times when the pain becomes unbearable, and the visit to the doctor has to be postponed. It is recommended to drink pain relievers. To relieve pain, you can apply a "pepper patch", but it is worth noting that you cannot hope for a long-term effect. The plaster warms up the inflamed area and temporarily relieves pain. To relieve puffiness, it is recommended to use herbal infusions for 3-4 days. Is it possible to cure cervical osteochondrosis with these methods? No, the above methods are short-term, for a full recovery you need to consult a doctor.
- Electrophoresis- the ions of the anesthetic drug penetrate into the sore spot due to the action of an electric current. Often done with pain relievers.
- Laser therapy- has anti-inflammatory properties, guarantees improved blood circulation, by means of light exposure.
- Magnetic therapy- relieves tissue swelling, has an analgesic effect.
- Ultrasound- there is an improvement in metabolic processes, pain relief, relieving inflammation of the damaged areas.
When it comes to physiotherapy, there are a few simple exercises you need to know. Regular exercise will bring the expected results very quickly.
Attention!When you perform the complex, you should not feel pain, discomfort.
- Lie down on your stomach, resting your hands on. Keep your back straight, while raising your head and body. Maintain the position for about 2 minutes, then take the starting position. Continue the exercise 2-3 times.
- Take a lying position on the floor, stretching your arms along the body, trying to touch your ear to the floor, turning your head to the left. Perform 6-7 repetitions.
- Inhaling while sitting on the floor, lean forward, trying to touch the chest with your head. After exhaling, tilt back, throw your head back. Do 10-15 reps.
- Pressing on the forehead, lower it to the palms, while sitting on the floor. Perform for about 30 seconds, 2-3 reps.
- Circular rotation of the head. Perform smoothly, slowly, so that your head begins to spin. If dizziness appears, finish gymnastics. Make 10 rotations in each direction.
This method of treatment should be used only in conjunction with the complex prescribed by the doctor. In such variants, the following are used: traditional medicine, therapeutic exercises, massaging.
Recipes to relieve malaise at home:
- A horseradish sheet attached to the neck and secured with a bandage or cloth will help. It is recommended to douse with boiling water and then cool to room temperature. It is better to leave the bandage overnight.
- Cut potatoes, mix with honey (one to one). Use once a week as a compress.
- Warming up will help relieve pain. You can apply a mustard plaster, a sandbag, pepper plasters, and so on.
We advise you not to seek help from forums, you should rely on the diagnoses made by doctors.
Therapeutic massage can be carried out at home, includes elements of classic massage. It begins with a healthy part of the body, smoothly moving to a sore spot. The complex is selected for the individual characteristics of the patient, the stage of the disease. To carry out the massage, the patient needs to take a horizontal position on the floor, lowering his forehead to his hands, pulling his chin towards the chest. Relax your neck muscles.
Treatment massage techniques:
- Start massaging with strokes, which begin from the collar zone.
- Push-ups, for execution, the masseur places his hand on the neck and moves along the spine. Alternatively, this technique can be performed towards the shoulder.
- Rubbing is performed to warm up the neck muscles, while the body relaxes, bleeding improves. Proceeding from the skull, movements are directed, movements are oriented towards the spine.
- The neck should be kneaded in a circular motion.
- It is necessary to finish with vibration, performed by tapping and shaking.
The following rules should be followed to prevent the disease:
- Go in for sports (swimming is the most effective).
- Increase consumption of foods containing calcium, magnesium.
- Do a warm-up several times a day, especially if you have a sedentary job.
- Choose the right pillow (should be low) and mattress (should not be soft). Monitor the position of the neck while sleeping: the angle of the neck should be at least 15 degrees.
- Take a hot shower for at least 10 minutes a day.
- For people who do not like sports, experts advise to regularly practice yoga.
- It is better to give up the gym. Bodybuilding can worsen health conditions.
Osteochondrosis and pregnancy
How to treat osteochondrosis while carrying a child? Naturally, you need to limit yourself in the use of drugs. Ointments with a natural composition and folk methods will help.Remember!During pregnancy, all possible effects on the neck area (for example, warming up) are prohibited.
Does osteochondrosis happen in young people? No matter how adults convince themselves that it is too early for adolescents to acquire such diseases, they are observed more and more often. It can develop as a result of congenital or acquired cartilage failure.
During an exacerbation of the disease, it is forbidden to heat the neck, because it can lead to an increase in swelling.
This article considered not only the basic concepts, but also effective methods of treating cervical osteochondrosis. They will help you cope with painful sensations, feel comfortable and confident, wherever you are.